Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The Traumatic.

Everybody has the events in their lives that leave us with a mark on the very core of our being, and with everything in life they can be for the better or for the worse. This is one of those negatively traumatic experiences that is still with me to this very day.


First a little bit of a back story. I was born in Kitchener, and a few months before my second birthday my family had moved to a small little town called Drayton. Actually it is not even a town, population wise it is still considered a village. Way back when before the world started to really turn more toward the dark side, it was a really close-knit and peaceful community. It did not take long for my parents to make friends with the neighbours and eventually my mom would go over in the mornings to a few of the neighbours for coffee and well gossip. Now sometime when I was two my mom asked me if I wanted to go over with her and I guess I said no I did not want to go. I was a kid, hell I was a toddler so I was generally bored out of my mind whenever I went. All I wanted to do was watch my children's shows on tv. Anyway, I said no one day and my mom left me at home while she went to the neighbours. I always knew which neighbours she was at and I was a bright kid, I knew how to get a hold of her if I ever needed to, or in some instances, once my shows were over I walked over there. I have a memory of myself walking up the street in my blue footie pajamas to go get my mom to come home and make me some lunch.

Now, the fact that I was left home alone at such an early age is pretty traumatic in itself but it gets a little worse.

One day when I was four years old, my mom had gone out to one of her friends for her morning coffee/gossip session except this time she was going a tiny bit further than usual. Her friend Cathy lived relatively close by, but unlike the usual places my mom would go, Cathy's house was on the other side of the main street in town. Now after have walking over to several other neighbour's houses I was confident in myself that I could do the same this time. So after I finished watching The Friendly Giant I set out to go get my mom. Everything was going fine, I double and tripled checked for cars before crossing the street but then two-thirds of the way across something happened.

All I remember is this...

I can remember collapsing, I do not know why, or what caused it but I collapsed. As I was falling down, I can remember seeing Cathy's two kids, Mark and Michelle, come around the corner at the main intersection as they were on their way home from school for lunch.

I can remember sprawled out on the road and trying to move but all I could do was lift my head up, and when I did that I saw a car start coming over the little hill in the road and right at me. By the way it was a white car with partial tinting on the windshield, if anybody is interested in knowing that.

Next thing I remember is being inside of Cathy's house and on a pair of crutches that Cathy had lying around from when she broke her ankle and that they were massively too big for me and for whatever reason my knee was sore.


That is really all I remember from that day. Now before you go on bashing on my mom about how horrible it was for her to be leaving me alone like that and yadda yadda, there really is no point. Sure it was not the right thing to be doing and for the longest time I held it against her but I have come to terms with it and what it has done to me psychologically. I am who I am today because of everything that has happened to me in my life up until this point in time. Despite everything that has happened I would not change anything if I had the power to do so because in doing so I would change who I become and I would never want to change who I am.

No comments: